Ottawa Wedding Magazine 10 Questions To Ask Your Wedding Photographer
Each question posed by the article has a recommended response I.e. what you should be looking for followed by a Response From Sellick Event Photography ‘s Rick Sellick
1. Does the photographer have a gallery of wedding images you can review? Reviewing sample work allows you to see the photographer’s strengths and weaknesses – don’t fool yourself, every photographer has them. You’ll also be able to get an idea of their style. Are they formal with an eye for the perfect picture or do they love to capture the hidden moments when no one is looking? Look for images that you can see yourself in. Think of three words that describe you and share those with your photographer. Every photographer has a style and reviewing their gallery can help you determine if theirs is right for you.
1A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
When you visit my website you immediately see a slide show that contains over 600 images from 50 weddings that I have shot over the years. Why so many images so you can see the type of images you can expect on your wedding day. I don’t just post the one of a kind shot but shots from different parts of each wedding. If you like the images you see on my site I can guarantee you will like/love your images.
2. What is the photographer’s working style? Some photographers are orderly and operate like wedding planners. Others prefer to sit back and let the events of the wedding unfold. It’s important that you find someone who can understand and meet your expectations. Discuss this ahead of time and ask away, so that you understand how well the photographer’s working style matches your own.
2A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
Style is very important as above and every Photographer leans in one direction or the other. However when I am working with a Client prior to the event I ask the couple to pick sample image that they like which helps me to better understand the style they want and prepare to shoot in that style. The more info you can provide the better I can give you what you want. In addition a wedding Photographers experience from shooting many Weddings/Events arms them with an instinct of what is going to happen next. What to watch out for. Listening to a Client can also provide a great level of detail that can be used creatively to create images.
3. Is the photographer available for an engagement session? An engagement session does more than provide you with priceless images together before you get married. It’s also your first opportunity to work with your photographer and develop a relationship that will allow you to be completely at ease on your big day. Use this session to confirm if the photographer is indeed the right person to capture your wedding.
3A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
The simple answer is yes I believe that comfort level with your photographer is very important and an engagement session helps in this regard. I am one photographer who will provide a substantial discount on an engagement session if you agree to sign up for your wedding at the same time. I will also let you in on a secret ask your photographer for a satisfaction guarantee that if the engagement session results are not to your liking you can then opt out of the wedding Photography contract.
4. Will the photographer create a detailed shot list? This list will ensure no important photo is missed during the commotion and excitement of the big day. You should be able to create that list together, add to the list leading up to the day and have a copy of that list the day of. Take an honest look at what images really matter and fill your photographer in on situations he or she might need to be aware of in order to prevent awkward moments, and to ensure that he or she can get the shots that matter most.
4A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
I have a shot list for traditional wedding images that I go through with the couple prior to the wedding. I also believe that it is really important to have the Bride/Groom identify key images that they must have be it a favorite relative or old family friend. I will say that in my experience a shot list is a guideline and that often times things change you have to be able to adapt to shrinking time frames or other events may delay things. This is why it my policy to make sure before I leave that we have covered off everything regardless of the coverage hours we have agreed upon. I will not leave you if our work is not done.
5. What kind of lighting will be used? Whether you have an indoor or outdoor wedding, you’ll want to make sure your photographer has professional grade lighting equipment to deliver the images your wedding deserves.
5A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
I have both full umbrella units and on camera professional High power diffused Flash Units. My primary method is using the on camera flash units as this allows me to be very portable, move around throughout the ceremony to get the right angles and always be ready for the shot. Using portable lighting units (Umbrellas, Plugged in Light sources) are fine but you need to allow for much more setup time and are not useful in heavy traffic areas. Managing off camera equipment usually requires additional manpower (photographic assistants, 2nd shooters) That will add to the overall cost of your photography. Consider this when your budget allows for it.
6. Does the photographer have backup equipment? You’ve prepared contingency plans for every other aspect of your wedding; your photographer should as well. A true professional photographer won’t miss your perfect shot because of a technology issue. He or she will always bring one or two backup cameras, lenses, flashes, additional lighting equipment, extra memory cards, and batteries.
6A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
Simple answer I always have spares of everything, cameras, Lenses, Flash units, memory cards. It is also important to consider Backup to the images being written during the wedding shoot. My Nikon gear has 2 memory card slots in each camera and my cameras are always set to record mirror copies of each image ensuring that a single card failure will not lose any images.
7. Does the photographer have liability insurance? Accidents happen at weddings and if one of your guests trips over your photographer’s light stand, it’s good to know you both are protected. Your reception venue may even ask the photographer to submit a certificate of liability ahead of time.
7A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
I am covered under a State Farm Business liability Insurance policy.
8. Will there be one photographer or two? A second shooter increases the probability that no shot will be missed, especially if you are having a large wedding. If there will be two photographers, ask to meet them both to get a feel for their personalities and how well they might blend in on your big day.
8A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
I have some of the lowest prices around for truly professional Photography. I am able to do this by keeping the costs down to a minimum. As Such when you hire Sellick Event Photography you hire me. I have taken and edited every image on my website. I have never missed an event shoot Period. I am a small c Control freak when it comes to your wedding images. You get my best every time and when I tell you something, you can count on it, as my reputation hinges on me being able to make you happy when you engage me for your event. If you have the budget to cover two photographers and feel that you need two that is fine. Often times the 2nd shooter is an apprentice covering the more simple shots. With my service you get me and my many years of Event coverage and Post processing expertise.
9. What will happen to the images after your wedding? Will your images be backed up to a hard drive or the cloud once processed? How long will your photographer keep the images afterward? Will they be kept for a couple of years or dumped immediately? If you have any concerns about losing your photos, knowing what the photographer plans to do with your images after your wedding is important.
9A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
I provide you with your usb or dvd disk. I have terabytes of hard drive space that are backed up. I keep copies of all your files on Blu-ray disks and my Photo site has unlimited storage for all the fully edited images that you receive. If you need a copy , after the fact, just ask and there may be a small charge for the media to hold all your copied images. Often times you can simply go to my site and cut and paste a fav image.
10. When will you get your photos? No, you won’t get your pictures the day after; no photographer can deliver that quickly. It’s a good idea, though, to get a general idea of the timeline ahead of time. You might even be able to agree on getting a couple of images ready for social media use very quickly. But obtaining your photos will likely take several weeks. To help with the wait, some photographers will send you a sneak peak with a few images. Just ask ahead of time!
10A) Sellick Event Photography Answer
My service is a bit different than above. In fact you will see images from your wedding the very next day. I give a commitment to each client to be finished the first primary edits within 7-10 Days after the event. I also edit and post your images to my site password protected so that The Bride and Groom can see the images as they are uploaded I have been told by multiple Clients how fun it is to be on their honeymoon and waking up each day to see new image from their wedding. The Clients can determine who and when they get to see the images on the site. They control the link to the site and password. This also work for those unable to attend the wedding for any reason. The Couple can share or decide to wait till all edits are completed. During the 7-10 Day period any changes that the Couple want can be quickly processed and reposted to ensure that the change is exactly what they wanted.
More Features of Sellick Event Photography That You Should Know.In addition to the previous answers some of the other benefits of Sellick Event Photography .
12) No expensive up-selling. The images are yours, no watermarks, and although custom printing is available I encourage to print your own images saving a ton of $ over professional print costs.
13) Only want partial coverage no problem I design the coverage that you want and can afford.
14) I do large formal wedding, Small intimate wedding, Cottage weddings, town hall weddings, Backyard weddings. Everyone deserves to have professional images and I will work with you to fit coverage to your budget.
15) No restrictions on family photos during your event. I am happy to take family photos when not covering the Bride/Groom. These can make great wedding gifts for people in attendance.
16) Easy going stress free photography that makes sure that the photography does not get in the way of having fun at your wedding. Being experienced and well prepared I can shoot fast giving you as much time to get back to the party to Enjoy Your Wedding.
17) Professional Photography at a price you can afford delivered in a stress free approach Sellick Event Photography. Your Go-To Photographer for All Of Life’s Special Events I’m Rick Sellick Owner and photographer and I guarantee my work and your satisfaction
Rick Sellick Sellick Event Photography 613-720-6581 www.SellickEventPhotography.com Sellick.Event@bell.net https://www.facebook.com/SellickEventPhotography
What Clients are saying about Sellick Event Photography regarding, value for $ and overall Service Experience?
- Rick Sellick captures the spirit of my enthusiastic family, from weddings to showers to birthday party's we embrace the opportunity to dress up, party up, and celebrate life. We have invited Rick along for the ride and he is always professional, takes thousands of pictures and ensures he draws everyone out of their shell so all moments are captured. We are very happy with everything he has done for us. A. Carkner Party
- Nov 12th 2016 Rick brings his own sun (flash units) but on our special day he was the light behind the camera, he made the day for us unforgettable Rick will be doing all of our photos. We love the work he has done thank you Rick Love Brianna & Mathew Nagle. Oct 08th 2016
- Rick is a professional in every sense of the word. He came on time, treated us with respect, and flexible enough to meet our budget. Moreover, he did all the revisions or editing of our pictures regardless of how hard they were and he did it efficiently. The time he set for us to get and see our pictures was met promptly. He was very passionate and caring of what he do.. He listens and listens well to our needs. Meeting him prior to the event was a big help because we got to know him and he got to know us too, creating that rapport and thus easier to smile and project during the shoot. Overall, we highly recommend Rick and we'll definitely get him for future important events in our lives. Moe and Nilda Hamed Wedding Aug 10th 2016
- Rick Sellick was amazing in every detail ..he was on time . very friendly and kind...paying attention to our beautiful moments at the baptism and taking amazing pics.. we felt he was one of us ..thank you Rick Tarek & Amal Sayegh Aug 7th 2016
- Professional, caring, creative and affordable. Sellick Event Photography has quickly become my number one go to photo company, for any event I hold. From portraits to parties, any venue, any context, Rick Sellick handles the photography with utmost professionalism and attention to detail. Thank you Rick. Lucy Mortimer Mother Daughter portrait shoot June 3rd 2016
- I love my pictures, your professionalism was just amazing. Great job! Rama, City Hall Wedding May 28th 2016
- It was clear from our very first contact with Rick that his aim is to please his customer. He provided exceptional customer service, beautiful photographs, showed genuine interest in our personal needs and demonstrated personal pleasure in his work with us. I believe that he would've given us the moon had we asked. Thanks Rick! Shannon Haggerty Portrait Shoot April 28th 2016
- Sellick Event Photography is amazing. He works with your schedule to get the pictures taken. He makes you feel comfortable to take the pictures that you want. This was a great experience for my brother and I. Couldn't be happier with the outcome of the pictures. Thanks Sellick Event Photography!! :) Tania and Eric Lacroix Portrait Shoot Nov 14th 2015
- We found Rick Sellick to be very friendly, efficient and easy to work with during our family photo shoot. Judy Selinger Family Portrait session (22 People) Nov 8th 2015
- It was amazing how easy it was to work with Rick Sellick. I am definitely recommending you to all of my family and friends for their first child to wedding anniversary or engagement photos you're very personable person and very easy to get along with I enjoyed having you shoot the photos for my hubby and I thank you so much!!! Mathew & Brianna Irwin Couples Portrait Shoot Oct 1st 2015 Perth Ontario.
- I hired Sellick Event Photography to photograph a litter of 8 puppies presented to me by my Dog Kali. I needed quality photos to be used for advertising the puppies for sale. The pictures were fantastic and I was able to find new homes for the puppies faster than just by word of mouth. Rick was super easy to work with, was respectful of the puppies and the nervous mom The pictures were delivered super quick after the shoot and Rick even added some catchy captions on some of the photos that help entice people to buy. I recommend and will use Sellick Event Photography again. Susan James Puppy Portrait shoot September 9th 2015
- Excellent photos, great price, very professional. Rick is very approachable and very easy to work with. Rick was great working with guests to get special photos while not interfering with the wedding ceremony. Thank you very much Rick. John and Leonor McBeath Wedding Oct 10th 2015
- Rick was great to work with - extremely professional, very knowledgeable and willing to explain his technique and his process. He went above and beyond in terms of the number of poses and the editing he did with the poses I selected. Great fun to work with! Kristin Vitols Portrait Session Oct 11th2015
- Rick made small personal touches that expressed us as a couple that were lovely and exceeded my expectation. Rick was kind and friendly and worked hard despite the air conditioning breaking down for my event. Rick responds to emails promptly and is clearly very concerned with customer satisfaction. Rick provides good to great images at a fraction of the cost of other photographers. Dana Moran & Richard Sadinsky Wedding June 21st 2015
- Rick is very friendly and was really able to capture the moment! Thank you so much Rick! Shay & Dalton Wedding Oct 29th 2015
- On time, professional service with a quick turn around of the photo editing. Overall a great experience and would definitely recommend!. Marc & Meaghan Thibodeau Wedding Aug 15th 2015
- We enjoyed dealing with Rick for our wedding photos. We like how he captured the events of our wedding day. There are also great photos of our family and friends which we look forward to sharing with them. It's obvious from our dealings with Rick he enjoys what he does. Pricewise you cannot beat the value he provides for the professional photos and services he delivers. Marc & Anna Bryar Wedding Dec 27th 2014
- Beyond my expectations, especially in comparison to what was offered by other companies. We were blown away! Rick has created everlasting memories that completely captured the tone and atmosphere of our day. His creativity and personalization has made this an experience that we will never forget! Jennifer Eales & Neil, Wedding Aug 30th 2014
- Sellick event photography did a great job of capturing our special day. Rick made sure that we got all of the shots that we wanted and followed through with us until the end to make sure that they were exactly right. Kiley & Jeff Hamilton Aug 23rd 2014.
- Mark and I were very happy with the service given by Sellick Event Photography, the photos were beautiful, and promptly available. The price was unmatched given the service, dedication and professionalism we received. We would absolutely recommend and loved how SEP chronicled our wedding day with stunning photos that made it that much more memorable. Kristina & Mark Homan March 1st 2014
- Our experience dealing with Sellick Event Photography was amazing. From our first contact with Rick until we received our photo disk from him we were impressed. Rick went above and beyond to make sure that we were completely satisfied with our wedding pictures. The photos are absolutely perfect, exactly what we were hoping for and we would definitely recommend Rick to anyone looking for a wedding photographer who provides beautiful wedding photography, unbeatable value, and who really cares about his clients and making sure they are 100% satisfied with their final product. Kiara & Adam Wedding June 21st 2013
- We received photos that well exceeded our expectations! The time and effort that Rick put into ensuring we had great photos and so quickly was amazing! He accommodated every request we had and was so easy to work with. Thanks again Rick! Kristy Thompson Wedding April 19th 2013
- We were very pleased with the service we received by Sellick Event Photography. Rick is professional and easy to work with. He makes sure to capture as many images as possible, giving you many options to chose from. We recommend Sellick Event Photography for any event! Kevin & Ginette Jerez Aug 17,2013
- I would recommend Sellick Event Photography to everyone and anyone! We planned our wedding from a different province and Rick made photography the easiest part of wedding planning as he was so organized. Rick was so courteous, he even provided me with his shirt to sit on so I didn't get my dress dirty while taking pictures. The one request we had of him was that he remain respectful throughout the ceremony, and wow we were very impressed; we didn't even see him or hear his camera once however he captured many beautiful pictures! Every special moment from our wedding he captured wonderfully! Also I had all my photos before the end of the first week, great service and a great guy! Michelle & Tyler Rogers Wedding May 2012
- I think I may love these pictures more than my first wedding. They are absolutely fabulous and thank you for being such a great sport. I know we are not the most traditional couple but you captured this special day exactly how I want to remember it fun.....and oh so Vegas! A huge thank you from Ashley and Steve Anderson. Las Vegas Wedding April 6th 2012
- Il n ya rien a redire Rick. Tu aimes ton travail et jusqu'aujourd hui je crois que c est ta passion que tu mets en avant et non l'objet prix.Patrick et moi te disons MERCI encore. Rosine & Patrick Kenfack July 2012
- I feel we received excellent value for the money. Rick is experienced and has captured the moment and feel of the wedding. Wedding party and guests were comfortable and enjoyed Rick's coverage. Dawn & Glenn Wedding Sept 19th 2014
- We required a photographer last minute for our wedding and Sellick Event Photography was able to be there for our special day. He is personable, flexible and works with a lot of enthusiasm. He really cared and was sure to capture every moment from beginning to end. We were absolutely thrilled with the results and not only that, all of the pictures were ready in a few short days." - Kim and Jonathan Doskocil Wedding June 2011
- We were extremely happy with your services. You were very easy to work with, professional, patient, creative, open to feedback, very quick to respond to any questions or requests to edit photos, very reasonably priced. Areti Trigylidas Baptism Event Coverage Nov 2011
- We wanted to take the opportunity to thank you a lot for all your hard work. Your dedication was fantastic and we would recommend you anytime. Tanguy Etoga Wedding May 2012
- Rick's patient and professionalism helped to make our day less stressful to ensure we have beautiful photos to go with our memories. Cynthia & Melodie Hinchey-Castonguay Wedding June 30th 2012.
- Pictures were beautiful! Couldn't have asked for better shots of us and other than the posed photos we didn't even know you were taking pictures. (Just the way I wanted it so we would be surprised at the photos) Thanks a million Rick! Can't wait for you to do more for us! Stephanie & Bruce Vivaraies. Wedding Aug 2012
- The pictures turned out to be amazing!! I couldn't have asked for better shots of us and other than the posed photos we didn't even know you were there. (Just the way I wanted it so we would be surprised at the photos) Thank you so very much for everything Rick! I am looking forward to working with you again in the future! Julia Trapani and Myles Yurich wedding Nov 10 2012
- We love our pictures you did an amazing job!!! You captured the enormous love that brought us to this point of our relationship. We see no need to make any changes; we appreciate your creativity and are pleased with your services. These captured memories will remain in our hearts for the rest of our lives. Thank you Norma and Mike Beaulieu Wedding Dec 15th 2012
- Rick, you provided a great photo experience. These types of Corporate Head shots are usually quite stuffy and the moment was lightened which helps with making people more comfortable to achieve a better photo. Traci McConnell Administrative Associate Scotia McLeod April 2nd 2013 Corporate Head Shots
- I thought the session (Mastermind Orleans Grand Opening Event) was great, on time, professional and with speedy turnaround of the images! Meaghan Brown Owner Mastermind Event Orleans (Wedding Décor & Linen Rentals) April 6th 2013.
- Rick Sellick is very adept at catching all of the little details that make up your special day. His insight and experience combined with his intuitive approach make for a wonderful combination of both candid photography as well as traditional poses.”- Francois Godbout & Billie Lafond Wedding Oct 2011
- Service was fast, friendly and efficient. Rick arrived on time and was ready to work very quickly. Service exceeded expectations. Jim Grimes Family Portrait shoot Dec 28th 2013